Relocations and stress come hand in hand. Do you know what time of the year is the most stressful when it comes to relocation? You probably didn’t guess it, but summer months are the peak season for relocation. This has a number of consequences, one being the fact that more and more people pick winter months for their relocation.
When you live in Toronto, and wish to relocate across the country, long distance moving services are more likely to be available after Christmas holidays. However, is this a wise choice and does it come with some challenges? Read on to find out!
Should you move during the winter months?
Winter relocation definitely comes with some inconveniences, but there are also some great benefits to moving during this season. Let’s first take a look at the challenges to get you ready to relocate across the country, or anywhere else you’re headed to:
1. Cold weather
First and foremost, it can be a challenge with the cold temperatures. You’ll need to protect your belongings from the harsh weather and stay warm inside during this time.
2. The Holiday Season
December and early January are known for their cheerful mood with all kinds of festivities going on. However, in some places, local events might cause a small traffic collapse, which can be somewhat stressful, even more so if you’re in a middle of a move.
3. Blizzards and snow storms
Deciding whether to move in winter months after a snowy spell is definitely questionable. You might want to consider this wisely before making the final decision. If you feel like you’re not ready, driving through snow storm is one of the things to avoid during a lengthy move. However, if you have enough experience and all the necessary equipment, including snow tires and chains, then go for it!
What about the benefits of moving in winter months?
Fortunately, there is more than just challenges with relocating in the middle of winter. Even the harsh cold can be a useful ally after all, so take a look at these four perks of winter relocation:
1. Avoiding the peak season
Summer is the peak season for most relocations. There will be a lot of people on the road and it certainly won’t move fast. During the winter, you’ll get a chance to enjoy a more relaxed moving experience with less traffic and a happier voyage.
2. Relocation costs are lower
Moving in winter months can be cheaper. This includes lower prices for renting the truck, as well as lower costs of renting storage and temporary housing until you settle in.
3. Dodge high temperatures
If you are relocating to a warmer destination during winter months, it will be significantly easier on you. You’ll get used to your new environment faster and find the best activities for the family in no time!
4. Fewer crowds
Moving in mid-winter is perfect if you want to avoid the crowds of people that show up when most people relocate. They will be elsewhere celebrating festivities. Furthermore, you’ll get a chance to make new friends in the neighborhood and get invited to parties by truly friendly people.
How do you move in the winter?
If you’ve decided to move during the winter months, there are a few practical tips and tricks that can help you.
- First of all, it’s crucial to take your time and make a thorough plan. Make sure everything is done in time and your family will not find themselves stuck or errand-less. If possible, start planning as early as possible. It’s best to start planning after Halloween.
- It’s also advised to rent a truck or van, especially if you’re moving during the winter months when snow might hamper your ability to get around town. You can drive yourself, hire a professional, or leave it all to a local provider. Also, don’t forget about obtaining an insurance policy for the vehicle.
- Don’t forget to properly pack the truck and use special covers to protect your belongings from snow, ice, or frost. However, it might prove necessary to clean out your vehicle so it doesn’t get stuck in traffic or on the road.
- Finally, seek professional help so you can check out all your options and weigh them against each other. Relocation specialists offer different kinds of assistance that can make your move during winter months much easier than you thought possible. Of course, make sure to read all the reviews and prepare a list of the most important questions.
Where in Toronto can I find client-focused long distance moving services?
Whether you’re moving from the suburbs, Etobicoke, or anywhere else in Greater Toronto, you’re fortunate to have a team of reliable specialists nearby. Here at Miracle Movers you’ll find everything you need to ensure your relocation is cost-effective, hassle-free, and efficient.
Our crew has the necessary equipment and expertise to carry out a relocation of any scope, from local to international, throughout the year. We’ll be glad to hear from you and give you an honest and transparent estimate, so give us a call today!