You have started preparations for moving to a new residence or packing your household items in storage. You’ve already packed your most valuable and cherished belongings, your books, works of art, electronic appliances. Now is the right time to start organizing the packing of the more bulky furniture, including items such as mattresses, books, manuals, catalogs, and delicate items.
While calling on a professional moving company in Toronto is the sensible thing to do, you may want to handle this part on your own. Read on to find out what to pay attention to.
How do I prepare a mattress for storage?
If you’ve decided to go the DIY route, there are two steps to follow to successfully prepare your mattress for storage.
Step 1. Examine your mattress carefully for any signs of infestation and ensure it’s clean and completely dry. Consider placing it in a spot directly under the sun for a couple of hours, just in case, before packing it for storage.
Step 2. Store the mattress in a specially created bedding bag that has a perfect size. These bags protect from dust, moisture, and pests. Fasten the plastic protector’s ends using some quality packing tape.
How do I put books into storage?
Step 1. Ensure any books you wish to store are completely dry. Consider spreading all the books in a place full of sunlight for a couple of days to dry them properly before packing. Also, you can run a dehumidifier in the room if you have one. If you discover mold on any of your books, take them to a conservator for deep cleaning and restoration.
Step 2. Cover leather manuals in some paper to prevent them from sticking to each other.
Step 3. Organize the manuals in small, sturdy boxes. Books are not light, so make sure to place the books flat. Lighter manuals should be placed upright to prevent damage to the spines.
How do I pack fragile items for storage?
Wrap all delicate goods one by one using bubble wrap or packing paper. This way, transportation will be safer. Place padding at the bottom of the packing boxes and use lots of bubble wrap, crumpled paper, soft fabric items such as towels to make extra padding between the goods. Label the boxes as “Fragile” or “Handle with care”. Make sure you:
- Put plates, bowls, and saucers on their sides to prevent them from breaking.
- Place all the glasses and cups with their rims facing down.
- All the smaller dishes should go into larger ones once they’re properly wrapped.
- Use specially designed dish packs to place in all your fragile and valuable dishes and glassware.
- Use specialized mirror boxes to store paintings, mirrors, and framed pictures.
- Create an “X” on glass surfaces using masking tape to add strength and prevent shattering. You can place flat cardboard pieces on both sides of the glass for maximum protection as well.
- Store statuettes, figurines, and other pieces of art or fragile collectibles in wooden crates.
Your go-to moving company in Toronto for all storage purposes
Now that you’ve got helpful tips on how to prepare items for storage, everything should run smoothly. When you are ready to rent a storage compartment, need advice on how to move your items without an elevator, or what kind of storage room you should rent near Steeles Avenue or across Toronto, give our experts a call. Set up a consultation and Miracle Movers will answer any questions you might have!