When you decide to relocate your whole household and start a new life in a different country, you’ll have to consider a lot of things. A lot will change in your everyday dynamic, and you need to take care of your loved ones and ensure that the process goes smoothly. Of course, it’s not always possible to avoid stressful situations during such a stressful transition, but you should know how to handle them.
Before you make an arrangement with a team of cross border movers to relocate your family from the United States to Canada, or vice versa, it’s important to know how to prepare. Read on to learn 5 tips that will help make the transition more comfortable for both you and your kids.
How do you move long distance with kids?
Relocating a household a long distance is rarely an easy task, but it can be especially difficult when you have small children. There are many reasons why this can be very stressful for them:
- they might be leaving their friends behind,
- they will be starting at a new school,
- they will arrive in a completely new unfamiliar environment, which can feel intimidating
- they could be breaking their everyday routine for some time, especially if you’d have to stay in a rental apartment or a hotel room before your household items are delivered.
As a parent, it’s important to try and make the transition as smooth as possible. You should talk to your kids about the relocation well in advance so they will be able to mentally prepare and know what to expect. If your kids are small, try to keep their routine as close to the same as possible. And finally, be there for them – if they need to talk about their feelings, make sure you are available to listen.
How do I prepare my family for a cross border move?
Before the relocation team arrives, it’s important to do the following things to ensure you and your family members are prepared for the international relocation:
- Research the area you’re moving to. This includes things like finding out about the climate, what type of housing is available, what the job market looks like, and what type of schools are in the area.
- Check daycare options and schools in the area. Doing this in advance can also prepare the teachers and daycare professionals to help you with the transition.
- Pack all the necessary items. Don’t forget your kids’ favorite toys, accessories, and posters. Make sure that you have something for the road, including snacks, cozy clothes, and comfortable footwear, if you need to travel a long distance. Ensure that you have a plan for bulkier items, favorite entertainment devices, and other belongings.
- Ensure you have all the necessary documents in order, such as passports, visas, birth certificates, and any other required paperwork.
- If you’re moving with pets, arrange for them to be vaccinated and have all the necessary paperwork in order.
- Contact your health insurance provider to find out what coverage you’ll have in your new country.
Where can I find dependable cross border movers for my relocation from the USA to Canada, or the other way around?
Whether you’re moving to the Greater Toronto Area, or you’re moving back to the US, you need to pick a team that can help you make the most of your relocation. Fortunately, with Miracle Movers, reliable technicians are always within reach and you don’t have to waste precious time on research. Collect your items, talk to your loved ones, and pick the best date for your relocation. We’ll gladly walk you through the process and make your move memorable and hassle-free.